Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lunch!

Day three of the Fat Smash Diet. I definitely needed to make something a bit more substantial. I decided to make Curried Lentil Stew as featured on Oprah.com! Autumn first introduced me to the recipe and I've made it quite a few times since then. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

Curried Lentil Stew
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large chopped yellow onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 6 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups rinsed French green lentils (called lentils de Puy)
  • 1 tsp. ground curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Directions:

In a large soup pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the broth, lentils, curry powder and cinnamon, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.

Cook, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are fully cooked and tender.

Once lentils are tender, season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls and top with chopped fresh cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.

The recipe calls for French green lentils, but I found that I like using the regular lentils for this recipe.

The regular green lentils are the light green flatter lentils.

Today I decided to check out this video I'd been eyeing.

The blog Gluten Free Girl has some really gorgeous photos and tales of food and love. Check out the video below, warning... it might make you cry.

Untitled from Daniel Ahern on Vimeo.

Get it... onion. Make you cry... Anyway. Here's my attempt. Not quite as knife savvy as I'd like to be. I had trouble cutting them small enough, but I decided for this stew it was okay to have a bit bigger pieces.

Here's the stew after cooking for a bit.

And here's the finished product!
I topped it with plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Also today I tried making it with water instead of broth. Even though the recipe offers that substitution, it is so much more favorful with the broth. I spiced it up a bit more after tasting it.
A delicious and filling lunch! The recipe is a good phase one recipe and although it called for a little butter and olive oil, I definitely felt like this was a good choice.
I wanted to toast up some bread with butter to accompany it. I didn't though.




7 comments:

  1. That looks DELICIOUS! I have made a similar recipe with some carrots and diced tomatoes thrown in, too. Love the plain yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LB- Were the tomatoes you used diced tomatoes from a can or did you cut up fresh tomatoes. I recently bought both and have been trying to figure out good uses for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Just ate the leftovers for dinner! Let me know if you try the recipe what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I used fresh tomatoes, cut up, but most canned tomatoes taste pretty good too, so I think either one would work. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can have most of the ingredients just sitting around your house. So on one of those days when you're famished and your kitchen appears empty, fear not! You could make this recipe, with canned tomatoes (or not)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And do you giggle when you say "lentils de puy"? I do. A tee hee.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors