Friday, March 26, 2010

Seasonal eating part I

Another thing that's pretty new to me is the idea of eating foods seasonally. Except for watermelon and peaches, aren't all foods in season all of the time? Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but for reals its not something I've put too much thought into. Some of my friends up here are way into it, even hosting an heirloom tomato brunch to celebrate the start of the heirloom tomato season. I've recently signed up for this great weekly newsletter that my coworker introduced me to cuesa.org, Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture. (It's specifically through the Ferry Building's farmers market which I haven't been to yet.) Yowsa! But love the idea of particularly the "education" piece. It's possible to learn about food!
According to CUESA
Seasonality Synopsis for March
Returning or plentiful this month: Fennel, pea greens, raw olives, English peas, lilacs, fava beans, hyacinth, parrot tulips, rhubarb, spinach, asparagus, avocados, green garlic, spring onions, nettles, broccoli, rapini greens, artichokes, baby turnips, carrots, fresh goat cheeses, goat meat, pastured eggs, plant starts and maybe strawberries
Winding down/ limited supply: kiwi, Brussels sprouts, cherimoyas, shallots, some citrus varieties like Cara Cara oranges and satsumas.

Pretty hard core huh? Do you "eat seasonally"? Have you found it easy/fun to do?

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, I guess I eat fruits/veggies when they're in season, like berries and peaches in the summer and squash in the fall. However I tend to eat "staples" year-round (apples, oranges, bananas, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers). So I guess not in the truest sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I have never seen nettles in a recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Yes! Though that's too bad since they are returning/ plentiful this month. I actually don't know what quite a few of those things are. Cherimoyas, shallots, satsumas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what nettles are either. Shallots are like onions, Devin uses them in marinades sometimes and cherimoyas are apple like I think. Never had one though. Satsumas...???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to look them up.

    Turns out nettles are a plant with medicinal qualities

    Cherimoyas, I don't even know how to describe it, but I wikipedia'd it and it kind of looked like an artichoke to me but it's a fruit. Fascinating....

    Satsumas are orange like citrus fruits

    ReplyDelete

Contributors