Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wooo! I love perspective!

I love that today as I start this blog and thinking about weight loss in a new way I also happen upon Oprah's article about Roger Ebert. After years of battling cancer and numerous surgeries he says:
Roger's struggles and triumphs were captured in a March 2010 Esquire magazine article, which ran with a portrait of Roger's new face. "People ask if I mind about Esquire running that photograph of me looking like this," he says through his computer. "I don't mind at all. Nobody looks perfect. We have to find peace with the way we look and get on with life."

Although there is a reconstruction procedure available, Roger says he's done with surgery. "I'm not going to talk or eat or drink again, so the surgery would only be to patch my face back together," he says. "I don't want to go through that. This is the way I look and my life is happy and productive, so why have any more surgery?"

I got chills as I read that. Just such a beautiful perspective. As I take steps towards losing weight, I want to remember that feeling of deep gratitude. I am so thankful for all the things I do in this body. I can run and love and do yoga, and laugh and lift my nieces high in the air, and create work I care about, and dance, and hug, and so much more. As I work to get healthier I remember it is so that I can feel stronger and healthier and love my body more and more each day.

2 comments:

  1. For him to say that he is still leading a happy and productive life even when he has been through so much and can't eat or drink or talk - wow, that is truly some perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?!! I didn't get to see the whole show, but I watched the videos on her website. Truly inspiring, and the way he is still doing what he loves. Such a great interview!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors