Saturday, March 27, 2010

Yoga!

I hadn't been to yoga in 3 weeks! The last time I went was at the beginning of the month and I just had such a challenging time. I was falling all over the place and feeling uncomfortable and awkward and unbalanced. Still, I didn't mean to let 3 weeks go by without heading back but I did.

So last night I was understandably a little nervous to head back in the studio. I almost didn't bring my mat with me to work, but I knew I definitely wouldn't go to class if I didn't bring my mat and clothes so I at least needed to be prepared in case I felt up to going. (and I'm trying to set workout goals for myself that I stick to even when I don't "feel up to going").

Last night was "chillsville yoga" Mellow flow with candles and juicy moves. I took it easy though, being gentle with my stiff muscles and uneasy balance. I definitely felt tentative about some of the postures, but overall was glad I went. And I had made plans with 2 of my friends to head to a class this morning. I ended up on the bus with one of the teachers from my studio and we had a great conversation about going back to the studio even when the last class felt hard. He reminded me that I'm not competing with anyone and to just keep going back.

Class was beautiful, my mat sandwiched between 2 absolutely lovely friends. I challenged myself but also was kind and eased back when I felt too strained. And wowsa the post yoga class bliss hit me hard. So grateful for that! And now I'm going to make some lunch. Day three of my "fat smash diet"! I'll share the recipe in my next post, it's one Autumn introduced me to that I was stoked to find out is almost perfectly in line with the list of foods for this week.

Question about the blog front page, is the calendar showing up for you all okay? I've been posting my workouts there and I want to make sure it's showing up okay.

Thanks for reading along, and a big thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming! It's so helpful and really it makes this process feel a little less lonely.

4 comments:

  1. Hi friend! Yes, the calendar shows up just fine.

    I haven't logged on in a few days, and now that I'm back, I see you've been very busy! And, inspired by your blogging, last week I started Phase One of the Fat Smash diet too (without knowing you were thinking about it - but you were the one who told me about it, and how good you felt, about two years ago).

    I have several excellent Phase One recipes I'd love to share. They might have a few things that are sort of "off-limits" but you can modify:

    Red Kidney Bean Soup with Lime Yogurt:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=35

    Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-Chili-with-Butternut-Squash-and-Swiss-Chard-234146

    Lentil Stew with Spinach and Potatoes:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lentil-Stew-with-Spinach-and-Potatoes-349

    Sweet Potatoes with Warm Black Bean Salad:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/eating-well/sweet-potatoes-with-warm-black-bean-salad-recipe/index.html


    Let me know if you try any, and what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, by the way, I have never been able to get into yoga - I'm embarrassed about how completely unflexible and awkward I am - so kudos to you for persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LB! Really?! That's awesome! I remember sharing it with you and I'm so glad you decided to give it a try! Let me know what you think.
    And thank you thank you for the recipes!!! Yum! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About yoga, I did yoga every so often when I lived in San Diego, but when I moved up here I started taking the same class every single week. It was a gentle evening yoga class. I think it was the consistency that helped me get hooked. I'm glad to have found a studio I really love up here (I am a huge fan of Yoga One San Diego for all you that live in SD). I'm not at my goal of 3 classes a week yet, but I'm working towards it. And by the way... I've seen you on the dance floor. I don't think I could ever describe you as unflexible or awkward. =)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors