Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Laughter therapy

I don't remember the last time I actually laughed during therapy. Not just a little giggle, I mean a full on guffaw all loud and hearty. Usually, it's quite the opposite.
Yesterday, I had my weekly therapy session and I said, "I'm just so disappointed in myself. Here it is a month away from my film event and I'm not going to have lost any weight at all."
I started to go on about this and my therapist stopped me,
"What does one thing have to do with another Bethany?"
"What do you mean? They have everything to do with each other."
"Why, it's not like you have to present your movie in a bikini, do you?"

And then I started laughing so hard at the thought of that and at my all or nothing thinking that really is not so logical when you really stop to think about it.

It ended up being a really great conversation about how we unlink those things. Keep them in different folders, because truly they don't have to be connected. I can find joy in my event and be proud of my film and feel present, even if I don't lose weight. And I will lose weight because I am working to make changes, even if they are little snowflakes that don't always seem to stick (yet).

Loved getting some perspective on it and taking a pause.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at that one too! But I also realize that I don't know about this film of yours ... was that in an earlier post? Now it's my turn to say "whhhhhaaaaat? You made a film???" Hahah. Details please, and pardon my ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! It was through a project called QWOCMAP! (Queer women of color media arts project). Quite an acronym huh?! =) I don't think I posted about it yet because I was feeling a little shy, but as the premiere weekend gets closer I get more and more excited to talk about it!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors