Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Shed

I've been thinking about shedding, not only pounds but things that are no longer true about myself (or maybe they never were true).

In this case, I'm ready to shed this phrase from my self-descriptors. "I can't cook. I don't kn0w how to cook. I'm a terrible cook. I don't know how to feed myself good food."

If you've spent any amount of time with me, you know that I say this a lot. And when I'm about to enter a grocery store, or prepare a meal for myself it's the loud mantra playing on repeat in my head. But here's the funny thing, the more I say it, the truer it feels. And IT'S NOT TRUE!

It is true that cooking and making healthier choices takes more of an effort for me than some people I know. It's true that I need to invest time at the grocery store, not go shopping when I'm hungry or rushed, and most of all I need a clean kitchen. As Peter Walsh says "No one makes good choices in a messy kitchen". So true.

But I do know how to follow a recipe and make a plan for a meal and make a real shopping list. I DO know how to do this. And by believing that it maybe removes a little of the anxiety I feel when I'm about to go shopping.

I still need creative ideas on snack options and I need to practice bringing my lunch and preparing meals at home, but most of all that's because the thing I have been practicing is eating out and grabbing junk foods. So of course that it what I'm going to be better at!

There's something to this whole Shedding things that aren't true anymore thing. I'm going to keep exploring it.

3 comments:

  1. And also to keep in mind that shedding those thoughts is a slow process ... like breaking any bad habit, I suppose. You do have the skills! I, for one, know that you can make a mean yam dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea of being aware of what you are saying to yourself. And you are right, you can cook. You always make great eggs! Whenever you notice yourself thinking that, push it away by going over all those things you can make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura and Autumn! Yes, I should do a post on all the things I DO know how to make! Including yams and eggs (though not together usually) =)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors