Friday, December 3, 2010

Baby steps



I have no idea how pedometers work. (I mean the actual technical nitty gritty behind how this little device can tell I've just taken a step).
No matter, because I am officially obsessed with this little gadget.
I've been averaging about 7,000 steps a day (a few thousand less on days when my longest walks are from my bedroom to the kitchen and back).
But since the "goal" (set by whom?) is 10,000 steps per day; I decided to give it a go. I wanted to see if I could incorporate 10,000 steps throughout a day and do it consistently for a week.



So on Monday I decided to make sure I remembered to wear my pedometer all day long. I took a few walks around my neighborhood throughout the day, getting the mail, moving my car, etc and sure enough by the end of the day I had 10,199 steps! Whoo!








On Tuesday I was out walking the pooches and so I got to 10,000 and then some!





















I continued the trend for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday! I love it!
The beginning of the week I was running more errands and being more active, but I found that at the end of the week I definitely had to work harder at getting to the 10,000 mark. I took an extra lap around the block, went for a mini walk while I was on the telephone, and I also took the doggies on an extra long walk (which they certainly appreciated).
On Thursday I was walking with a friend and she got into it too. As our walk wound down she asked what number I'd reached. I was at about 7,000 and she said, okay, let's keep walking then! She even cheered for me when I hit 10,000!

Even though it's not a substitute for the focused exercise sessions I'm hoping to incorporate into my day; I have to believe that these steps add up and they definitely count!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! And I definitely think that those steps do add up and count for something; the point is simply to move, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Great job hitting 10,000 over and over! I love how you included every picture too. I think this can do more for you than a focused exercise session. You come out feeling strong and accomplished which eventually leads to wanting to push yourself even harder.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors