Thursday, December 2, 2010

Jane Fonda telling it like it is


If you could tell your 25-year-old self one thing, what would it be?
Oh, geez, when I was 45, I was going through a 20-year battle with anorexia and bulimia. I've hit bottom. Food addiction and eating disorders are terrible. You can get booze out of the house. You can get drugs out of the house. But you can't get food out of the house. I suffered from it until I was about 43 or 44 years old.
So, what I would say to my 25-year-old self is: "Jane, sweet, dear, sad girl, can't you see that what you're doing by binging and purging, that you're in search of something? You think you're finding your answer in food but that's not where it is. You have to learn, and open yourself to something beyond yourself." A great Jungian psychologist named Marion Woodman said, "Human beings are like chalices -- if we're empty, we're going to fill the emptiness with addictions." If we can fill the emptiness with spirit, humility and understanding what we're really lacking, then we will no longer be addicts. It happened to me, and it took me a lot longer than 25. But for me, it was exercise.

You can find the rest of the article here.

Photos top: nsb.com, bottom photo: listal.com

1 comment:

Contributors