Monday, January 31, 2011

It's official!




It's official!



We're signed up, laced up, and ready to go (start training that is).





Coleen and I signed up for the SF half marathon (my gift from Santa) and this Saturday was our official kick-off.

A few things to report:

1) For the kickoff you had the choice of one mile v. 3 miles.
The idea of 3 miles made me break out in a cold sweat so I decided I'd do the one mile. When it was time to start the run they instructed everyone who was starting with one mile to stay where they were and folks doing three miles take a step to your left. I suddenly felt like I must smell or something because 100 people simultaneously took a giant step away from me.
Fortunately there were a few others who were opting for the one mile distance so I didn't feel too alone.

Out on the run, the trainers kept saying "it's only one mile! You can do it."
Only one mile!!!! Clearly spoken by folks who have no concept of my level of stamina.

2) Remember, I shared my burrito dining in comfort hot moment? Where I switched chairs so I would not feel all terribly squished while I was having dinner? I totally had another moment like this!

After the run (err... jog/walk) we lined up to get our training shirts. I first asked for an XL but then it was clear I wouldn't fit into it. So I asked if there were any larger sizes. I was handed a Womens XXL shirt. I tried that one on and it also was too tight. I felt my face flush red and asked if there was any chance they had a larger size. They didn't.
"Well, I'll fit this in no time at all, right?" I squeaked this out as a statement/question hybrid since I was not sure if it sounded true yet.

I'm about to walk away when I see the table of "mens" shirts. I asked if I could try on the men's XL. It also didn't fit! But the men's XXL totally fit me and I felt so grateful I had stayed because I didn't want to start my training with a training shirt that was too tight. I wanted to be able to use it NOW!!! Just as I am!

And why do sizes have to be gendered anyway? "Women's cut", I am a woman but there is no way I'm squeezing that shirt on!

3) I'm so nervous!

But also excited about this adventure! Especially since I get to share it with my dear friend.

But really, is it normal to be this nervous!? Eeek. We run again tonight!

2 comments:

  1. We all have to start somewhere, the important thing is that you started!

    When I first started running I couldn't run a mile. I was huffing and puffing and I asked my dad how far a cross county race was. I was in shock when he said 3 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed! It's officially begun. It did feel good to start after talking about it for so long =)
    I was so nervous!

    Running is such a part of your life, it's hard to imagine that you had a hard time completing a mile! Thanks for helping me keep the journey in perspective and having faith I can do this!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors