Monday, January 10, 2011

On Sunday morning

Does anyone else read that title and automatically start singing No Doubt?

Ah Gwen! So tough!

So as comfortable as my bed was on Sunday morning.... I had a date! With my new shoes!

Coleen invited me to join her for a morning interval training run at Kezar Stadium as the official launch of our half marathon training! (In case you are wondering half marathon whaaat? Check out this post.)
The plan was to run the straight parts of each lap and walk the curves and to do it at least 8 times! 2 miles.
We did it! For those of you who are hard core runners I know it might not seem like much, but it was a perfect easing into running for me. I've been walking and getting my 10,000 steps on most days, but it's been a while since I've broken out into a full on run.

Then Coleen taught me about strengthening one of the main muscles that stabilizes your patella. This is super important for runners since knee injuries are fairly common. Note that she used the official name for this muscle, but I think the soreness I am currently experiencing is blurring my memory of it.

If you're interested in strength training for the muscles of your leg, I found an awesomely informative article on Health.com about recovering from injuries around the patella, specifically Patellar tracking disorder. I've never been diagnosed as having such but it still has some incredibly useful exercises. Also, since I sometimes have a tweaky knee, I'm trying to be super mindful as I embark on this running journey. You can check out the article here. It comes complete with pics of each exercise.


Our workout felt great and (to quote Coleen) we felt all jellified. That post work out feeling where you are all warmed up and have the good mushy feeling in your muscles.

That afternoon I joined my friend Jamie at Urban Flow for an intro to yoga class with the effervescent Rusty Wells . I hadn't planned on doubling up my workout, but the scheduling kind of just fell into place and I went with it. It was nice to be back at Urban Flow. Especially since my hopes to make it to yoga on Friday night were thwarted by an aching shoulder.

I captured another shot of the exit out of the studio because I just so love the "be kind". Hooray for sore muscles and happy hearts.

No doubt pic from here

1 comment:

  1. Great job on your workout x2! I love the picture of that track. Did you do some of those stretches?

    ReplyDelete

Contributors