Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Defunking the funk

Some days you just can't defunk. And I'm not talking about stink. I'm talking about that murky blue that you seem to wade through all day long.

After feeling so totally proud of myself yesterday, my blue mood today took me by surprise. It was a tough, self-sabotage, just can't shake it kind of a sad day.

I have definitely worked hard to gain some tools designed just for days like this. I was able to pull out a few of them including calling a good friend, taking a walk out in the sunshine, talking through a tough moment with my cousin, and cooking a yummy comforting stew for lunch.

They didn't totally shake this mood, but I was glad to have them in my toolkit just the same.

I also ate some things I knew wouldn't help in the long run. And even though the sweets seemed to help comfort in the short term, I don't want emotional eating to be the tool I turn to when I am feeling down. And I call emotional eating a tool because it does serve a purpose and it is a choice that I have. But it's not a choice that will move me towards my goal of a healthier me. "Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Sorry, couldn't resist summoning a little Ani D. for this occasion.

Heading to bed early. Sleep and sweet dreams are in order.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great quote and so true. Hope you shake your mood, but knowing it will pass is comforting. You really accomplished a lot of steps trying to shake your mood and that's great. Sometimes I try changing my focus instead of not wallowing in my mood (and I mean just by meditating or something like that - shake out the cobwebs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Darla! I appreciate it! =)
    You know, I don't actually meditate. I do in yoga a bit, but I should try it, even if it's only for a few minutes a day!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors