Friday, February 4, 2011

Not so healthy

I'm still dreaming about that jambalaya! I don't think it was particularly healthy though. I'll have to see if I can make a healthier option so I can eat it more often. My roommates are such good cooks!

Since it was movie night, J started us off with a heaping bowl of freshly popped kettle corn. Admittedly we both thought it was so much healthier than it was. (I can dream right?)

When J first glanced at the box she thought it was 180 calories per bag. But upon closer inspection we saw there are 3 servings of unpopped kernals in each bag. Although, since it's in pre-wrapped bags we don't ever see the unpopped kernals.

I had to share this nutrition label (see pic below) because it was just so confusing.
While it gives you the calories for 1 cup popped, there are actually 4 cups in each serving and 3 servings in each bag. So 12 cups in each bag.... Right? Is this confusing to anyone else but me?

Typically I find nutrition labels pretty easy to navigate, but this one is a doozy.

I hear they are going to start putting calories and fat grams on the front of packages so customers can get a quick snapshot. Would that help you when you are shopping? Would it motivate you to leave higher calorie eats out of your cart?

2 comments:

  1. Arrrgh, I really dislike how manufacturer's label calorie counts. One time I found the nutrition facts were based on 1/2 a cookie. Yeah, who eats 1/2 a cookie - a small child - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I don't think I've ever managed 1/2 of a cookie (or 1 cup of kettle corn!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors