Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Should you defunk the funk?

Doesn't she look at ease and calm?

What I find particularly interesting about my funk yesterday is that I was so desperate to not feel blue (going for walks, reaching out to friends), that it never occurred to me even once that I could just sit still with it. I had to actively do something. Have you ever heard that saying? "Don't just do something, sit there."

It made me laugh a little thinking about my mad scrambles for relief from my blue mood. I definitely have/ and do navigate depression. So when I feel blue, I tend to get a little panicky because I don't want it to get to feeling unmanageable and big.

I am grateful for a growing toolkit of "defunking tools", but sometimes I think the best tool of all is a pause button in the form of a deep breath, knowing that the blue isn't permanent. (And reminding myself that while a donut (or 3) certainly is a delicious distraction, it does not offer any sort of real healing/ relief).

I think a lot of what I was feeling yesterday was overwhelmed. Today I decided to breathe and put a pause on actively thinking about any big decisions and instead focus on some smaller victories. So I organized a bit, and swept in front of our door and in the hallway, I drank good coffee and went through some pictures that made me smile. And I dug out a few keepsake images I have in my greeting card box that never fail to make me smile. I took a pic of a few of them to share with you.

Attempting to love all of me-- every inch.

Decluttering and creating space for miracles!

They look so joyful to me!!

Off to our track workout. Deep breaths!

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that quote but I do love the idea of focusing on small victories. I am going to do that today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I need some small victories to keep me motivated!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors