Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Summer in February

It's not really Summer, but you could have fooled me on Sunday with temps at over 75 degrees. (Though today, it's cold again).

On Sunday, I decided to go for a run. I needed to get out of the house, into the sunshine, and out of my head and the blues that were getting me down. I didn't quite have a plan until for some reason I decided to be a tourist in my own city.

I've walked (halfway) across the Golden Gate Bridge. I've driven across it dozens of times. But, I've never traversed the whole thing on foot. So, I mapped out my bus route, and before I knew it I was at the base of the bridge.
According to the googling I did, the bridge is 1.7 miles long including approach. I was able to run quite a bit of it out and back. And while I did take some breaks (to snap pictures, and to breathe!) I definitely tried to push myself to keep going. I would tell myself, "I can make it to that next pylon." And I did! Twice.
I wish I could say that running along the bridge was serene. But really it's kind of like running alongside a freeway. Even with my headphones in and music on, the noise from the cars was incredibly loud.

My attempts at self-portraits.


The bridge might look pretty deserted in these pics, but trust me, at the bases of the bridge and up to the first pylon there were hundreds of people. They were all taking pictures, so technically my run was probably captured in countless family albums, sweaty me chugging along in the background.

As I reached the opposite side of the bridge and turned around, I ran by a couple that I had passed a minute or two earlier. The man gave me such a genuine smile and a thumbs up; I couldn't help but smile back.


Lovely, lovely day.

4 comments:

  1. (big smile) Isn't life great?

    Love your self-portrait. Have you ever been to Vancouver, Canada? Talk about fickle weather - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm definitely not a self-portrait expert. But somehow these 2 work for me. =)

    I've never been to Vancouver. Though I hear it is absolutely beautiful!!! And I'm sure worth braving the fickle weather to check out someday! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right; I only just discovered the bridge is much more serene from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So loud!!! Even with my headphones!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors