Thursday, February 3, 2011

Year of the Rabbit begins

Our house has been all abuzz. For the last few days the house has smelled so wonderful and delicious as my roommate J zips around the kitchen, cooking and prepping. It's Chinese New Year, the beginning of the Year of the Rabbit and tonight I was invited to partake in the spoils.
Heaping bowls of jambalaya, curries, pastas, wines, ciders, s'mores, kettle corn.
Not a "traditional" feast perhaps, but a spread that would make anyone swoon.
I don't even know where to start with logging tonights feast.

J says that today is setting the tone for the whole year. Oh dear.
I had a late morning and was rushing to court (day 2 of jury duty).

I stopped for a Chai and left with that plus a blueberry scone (22 grams of fat and 460 calories). Then instead of catching the bus as I'd intented (parking is near impossible near the courthouse), I took a cab, lest I face the rath of the judge for being tardy.

This messy morning felt all too familiar last year. I'd be heading to work, grasping at things that I knew would keep me afloat. Even if these things were costly to my pocketbook and my waistline.

According to this site, the year of the Rabbit is marked by "A placid year, very much welcomed and needed after the ferocious year of the Tiger. We should go off to some quiet spot to lick our wounds and get some rest after all the battles of the previous year." Funny, I feel like I'm just starting this fight. So maybe it's an invitation to stop struggling and look at how I can ease into this journey. Making choices little by little that lead me where I want to go.

I don't want messy mornings marked by chaos.
If I could have a do-over my morning would have gone something like this:
7:15am wake up before my alarm feeling quite well rested. Stretch.
7:20 Start coffee brewing and head out for a 20 minute walk.
7:45 Fix oatmeal, eat and hop in the shower.
8:00 Finish getting ready, grab pre-packed lunch
8:30 Head out the door and catch bus that is perfectly timed and pulling up as I arrive at the stop.
8:50 Arrive at courthouse with 10 minutes to check email or read or just sit and breathe.
But it didn't go like that at all. And that's okay, it's just that I think I make better decisions when I'm not rushed and stressed. Don't we all?

What about you? What's your ideal morning like?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it's the Year of the Rabbit. Since I have 3 rabbits I think it will be a good year for all of us. Ahh, a placid year.

    My ideal morning is waking up - bing - not tired. Feeling happy. Get ready for work. Breakfast and talk with hubby and a safe drive to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you included a time schedule in your morning routine!

    I can't wait to hear how Friday morning went!
    ps 7:00/7:15 is when we were waking up to organize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Darla, Yes, I think 3 rabbits do help make the year of the rabbit very good year indeed!

    @Autumn, Were we really getting up at 7/7:15. Wow! Clearly your presence is a good influence!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors