Monday, March 28, 2011

5K or bust

When you ask a friend to help you to be accountable to your goals...
and then a few months later ask her to run a 5K with you...
don't be upset when she holds you accountable for that 5K because she has a better memory than you and remembers both things you asked of her.

That's a loooong way of saying there was no squirming out of the 5K I'd convinced my friend D to run with me.

I actually thought I'd gotten out of it when the weather forecast predicted 100% chance of thunderous rain. But by Saturday, the Oakland clouds had cleared and it was time for me to lace up and head on over for the run.

I would like to think I'd usually be thrilled by this adventure; running a beautiful 5K at dusk with hundreds of amazing community members sharing the love. But on this particular day my nerves had gotten the better of me. I felt derailed and discouraged by my last run; feeling like I was starting over and also remembering how queasy I'd gotten after a mile.

But by the time I was at the starting line all of my nerves relaxed. I saw about a half dozen people I knew. There were tons of folks planning to walk. And it was a beautiful evening. What could hold me back from enjoying this 5K except for myself?

I set a goal to run the first mile and then check in with myself to see how I felt (since that was when I got super queasy feeling last time). At the first mile I actually felt great and I decided anything past this was just money in the bank since I'd achieved the goal I'd set for myself. Somehow releasing that pressure gave me enough umph to get to mile 2 (which oddly felt much longer than mile 1). At mile 2 I decided I was just going to go for it. I was going to try and run the whole thing. I'd run a 5K on the treadmill without stopping. And I'd run this distance and then some outside with only a few stops. So I figured, I should at least push myself and try.

That last mile was a doozy and I definitely almost stopped at least 5 or 6 times. But... I didn't. I kept running and when I saw that finish line up ahead and those hoards of cheering people, I was in it all the way. I actually kind of sprinted to the finish line once I was in the home stretch. I was totally buoyed by the energy of the people cheering and the surge of feeling proud of myself.

I grabbed some post race water and oranges and started looking for D since she'd finished ahead of me. And that's when the blogosphere worlds collided! I'd seen on twitter that @FoodieMcBody was going to run the same 5K. But even though I'd read her blog a bunch of times I didn't expect to actually run into her and recognize her. When she passed right by me in the post race hubbub I wasn't exactly sure it was her. And though I'm not too shy, I didn't want to go up to someone and ask if they are FoodieMcBody and be wrong. But I braved the potential embarrassment and went to say hello and yup! It was her.

Such a total treat to run into someone who's story you've been following and cheering on in the virtual world! Her blog is so great and she's a mega inspiration. I was officially starstruck! She posted a shout out on her race recap which definitely had me blushing-- almost as red as I am in this post race pic we took.


Thanks D for encouraging me to go the run and for Foodie McBody for being just as sweet and amazing in person!

8 comments:

  1. Great job on running the 5K! I was going to as well, but a family thing came up. Sad! Anyway, glad to "meet" you through FoodieMcBody. Looking forward to following your journey to increased hotness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and for the encouragement!
    I'm so glad you're reading along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your first 5k!! i totally agree that mile 1 to 2 mile feels sooooo long.

    you rawk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eddie!
    I know, right?
    I'm sure it was measured and is actually the same distance but it was slow going there for a while =)
    Slow and steady wins... er, finishes the race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, this is awesome! Congratulations! I just started week 3 of the couch to 5k program, and running 3 minutes straight is killer for me. I can't wait to get to where you are, running the whole thing?! Such an inspiration. :)
    PS, thanks for stopping by and checking up on me, sorry it took so long to get back to you! (I feel like I haven't opened my laptop in weeks.) It was so nice to see your comment, it made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kate! That's awesome that you're doing the 5K program, the part that feels so amazing is looking back just a few weeks earlier and seeing your amazing progress. I keep doing that on my blog too, reminding myself of progress. It was just a few months ago that I was blogging about not being able to run a mile. Hope you're feeling proud of yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A 5k and running the whole way!! I am so proud of you for doing it and then not giving up during! That is the hardest part especially when your body is telling you to stop and your mind has to be stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Autumn! It's true, part of my brain was telling me how much better it would feel to sit down and kick up my feet.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors