Tuesday, March 29, 2011

B gets cookin

Have I mentioned I love my new recipe binder? Love it love it. And up front and center in the Main Dishes section is a recipe I just recently tried. Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers! I was at the grocery store and there on the rack with the coupon ads was a little free book of recipes (as if I don't have enough recipes). But this recipe used fresh mint!
I posted about the start of my little herb garden here. And now here was a real recipe to give the mint a try.

In my blogiversary post, I said I'd be sharing new recipes I'm trying. I'm not a food photographer, but I managed to capture some pics of the peppers in progress.

For the recipe I needed 2 tbsp of chopped fresh mint.


I'll admit that once I have gathered all of the ingredients, I like to line them all up like on the cooking shows. I feel the need to double and triple check I have everything before I dive in. I'm a rookie in the kitchen so this somehow feels comforting.
This recipe calls for: cooking spray, 4 large yellow bell peppers, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 c. chopped onion, 1/2 c. chopped zucchini, 1 c. seeded and chopped orange or red bell pepper, 4 garlic cloves- minced, 1 tsp dried oregano, 3 c. cooked whole-grain couscous, 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint, 1-2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 c. crumbled feta cheese, and optional: salt, freshly ground black pepper
I'd like to take a knife skills class. It took me so long to chop up all of the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat baking dish with cooking spray. Slice tops off yellow peppers. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and ribs inside each pepper.
Place 1 inch of water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Place yellow peppers in pot. Cover and steam for 5 min. Remove peppers from pot to drain.
They also said you could microwave the peppers. I decided to steam the peppers. Next time I would steam it for more than 5 min. to make it a little softer.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, orange or red bell pepper, garlic, and oregano.
Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 min. Remove skillet from heat and stir in the cooked couscous, mint, lemon juice, and feta cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This was the first time I'd made coucous. I read the directions and was surprised it was so easy. Just boil, stir it in and let it sit?
Stuff each pepper with approximately 1/4 of the mixture. Stand peppers upright in the baking dish. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 15 or 20 min., or until peppers are tender.
I decided to put the mixture in 5 peppers. Next time I'd only put it in 4 so it would be totally stuffed to the brim with the yummy mixture.
The peppers were super filling so when I was serving them I cut each in half. This is a pic of my friend T giving them a go. My friends tasted them and approved! And I figured out the calories and fat grams and for one pepper its 353 calories and 14.5 grams of fat. Not too bad, especially since I only ate half of one as a serving. Success!

Featured recipe originally from the Taste for Life test kitchen

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, looks good. You are no longer allowed to say you can't cook. Can't wait for you to make it for me!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors