Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Does this Clutter Make my Butt Look Fat? (Part I)


Remember oh...last year... when I added "my books I'm reading" to the side bar? I started Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? by Peter Walsh last year and then decided I wanted to read It's All Too Much, his organizing book, first. So off to the "to read" pile it went.
But now, since I'm actively decluttering and getting organized, I decided it was the perfect time to pick it up again. And I'm so in love with this book.

This post is Part I since I'll post a full write up once I finish the book. For now though I wanted to share that I'm diving in to the book. I have my pen right next to me for annotating and underlining and circling and starring!

Right away, his statement "No one makes good choices in a messy kitchen," inspired me and even motivated me to clean up my pantry!

The connection between physical clutter and weight may not seem obvious at first. But he totally makes the connection in this list:
The cookbooks that fill your countertop, leaving you no space to prepare and cook healthy meals are making you fat.

The thin clothes that you hope will fit again one day are making you fat.

The baggy clothes that you hide behind are making you fat.

The garage full of unused exercise equipment is making you fat.

The boxes of memorabilia that keep you living in another time are making you fat.

The pantry chock full of disorganized food is making you fat.

Even the dining room table covered with mail is making you fat.
Peter Walsh asserts he is not a diet expert and he will not give you a list of foods you should and shouldn't eat or offer healthy recipes. Instead he is making the connection between food and clutter. Clutter prevents you from living the life you want; including losing weight.

I remember Suze Orman talking about debt and weight. I wish I could remember the comparison exactly, but it was something about for every $1,000 you owe you are 5 pounds overweight or something like that. Point is... it's all connected.

Can't wait to share more about the book once I'm finished!
In the meantime, what are your thoughts? Does that idea of clutter and weight being connected resonate with you?

5 comments:

  1. Totally!!! I think it applies to mom too. She's always had this clutter around the house. Lots and lots of papers! She's very very unorganized and over weight for her height and overall health. As for me, well...before my ex husband and I lived together I had a lot of stuff but I was thin. Most of it was organized. He brought in his things and it made it much worse! Then the clutter became monstrous and so did I (IMO) I was at my heaviest when my living space was at it's most cluttered and unorganized. Maybe it's a sense of being overwhelmed by everything, we can "see" it. And I don't speak for everyone here...but I'm a lazy ass! A total lazy ass when it comes to cleaning clutter. It looks too overwhelming and I don't know where to start! So I don't. In my kitchen and fridge I didn't have room to cooknice healthy things. I had counter space for the Chinese rake out boxes though. My point: I agree with this guy that clutter and not being organized have a great deal to do with weight! I'm divorced now...my husbands clutter gone, I'm thin again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, this sounds like a really interesting book. I know that I am glad that I got rid of my "fat" clothes that were hanging in my closet. I didn't need an excuse to grow back into them. Although I do like having a pair of jeans a size smaller to try on every now & then, so I can see how close I am to fitting into the next size.

    I never thought of clutter as fattening, I just find it depressing. But then again, depression leads to emotional eating so there you go . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Keri,
    Thanks for your comment. I know it's especially hard to navigate clutter when it's not yours alone. It definitely takes a lot of communication and patience. I have a hard enough time navigating my own clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Debbie,
    Yes! I'm so excited to keep reading it. I have a few pairs of "almost fit pants". It's hard to let go of clothes that don't quite fit. One thing I'm working on is being sure to only buy clothes that fit right now. I used to buy clothes that I loved but that didn't fit me yet. Not anymore!! Now if it doesn't fit and I don't love it, I have to leave it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few days behind on my blog reading - forgive me! I think this is absolutely true. When I recommitted to getting healthy at the beginning of this year, I cleaned my house too - and it made a huge difference. But as I feel the house getting messier, I'm getting lazier all around. It's so much easier to just not deal with the clutter, but acting out of convenience is keeping me fat. I guess I knew this all along but reading your post really turned on a lightbulb for me!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors