Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Have you heard?

I got some offline flak for my last post. I know, I know, when it comes down to it, I still missed my long run. But for reals my body thanked me or I thanked my body, or both. Sleep is good.

Also in the realm of self care, I saw my Physical therapist yesterday. I started seeing him several months ago for a terrible shoulder injury. One of the things I love about him, is the way he fuses eastern medicine with more traditionally western medicines. He's studying acupuncture and so yesterday he gave me these things called Ear Seeds.
Each ear seed is a tiny black bead sitting in a little square of tape. After referring to an "ear map" he placed them on different acupuncture points of my ear. Each point corresponds to different parts of the body. You press on the little bead throughout the day and it is meant to stimulate energy associated with that body part. Some folks use it to treat addiction. And in my case, he placed the seeds at points associated with my shoulder, my knee, my heart and lungs, etc. They aren't needles and don't pierce the skin. When I press on the seed it feels painful, the way it might feel to press on a bruise or a tender muscle.

When I was looking around for pics of the ear map, I found this one of Matt Damon with ear seeds. And if Matt Damon uses them... haha
Do any of you use acupuncture?

Info about ear seeds found here. Ear map found here. Pic of Matt Damon with Ear seeds found here.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you found of picture of Matt Damon with an ear seed!! What?! You must be commended on your research skills!

    All that aside, I did contemplate acupuncture when I was preggers and felt like I had aches and pain all over. How is your shoulder with now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! The picture actually came up right away! I was surprised too. In the picture I found, it points out the ear seeds right on the post, I didn't find them on a pic of Matt Damon randomly =)
    Though that indeed would have been some good observation.

    I got acupuncture a few years ago for my back and I loved it. It just stimulates the muscle in such a different way. And since my shoulder injury is so deep inside my shoulder I think it's going to be super beneficial.

    It's feeling about 80% better. I just started trying to do pushups off of the wall in conjunction with the other stretches and exercises my PT gave me. Definitely still pretty weak, but I'll keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried acupuncture, but my grandma used for a while for her arthritis years ago.

    About your last post, I think you did what your body needed. There are times when we flake on a workout because we are just being lazy or rebellious, but this wasn't one of those times. Your body had been under stress and needed some extra rest and you listened. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debbie!
    Sometimes it's hard to know what my body is telling me. Especially since exercise is not quite a habit yet. But I'm learning to listen, and I'm definitely glad I chose to tlc myself with some extra sleep. =)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors