Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dusting it off

When my dear friend Coleen (aka the busiest person I know) makes a comment about my lack of blogging, I know its true. The fact that she has taken the time to check out my blog and even reach out to give me a little nudge means a lot to me.

I've actually been getting quite a few nudges from folks I love-- I've needed them.

Mostly I've been pretty checked out of my goals. I've been eating what I want, drinking what I want, and my exercise sessions have been few and far between. As a result, I've been feeling... not so hot. Yes, the half marathon is still at the end of this month (eeeek).

So in an effort to find the reset button, I decided to hop on the scale this morning. The title of this post describes that adventure, because I literally had to dust off the scale. As in grab a cloth and wipe off a layer of dust.

But despite my fear of what the scale might read, I stepped on anyway.

I already knew there had been a gain, but wasn't sure of how much.
Okay, here we go. A 7-pound gain.

Now the next step is figuring out what to do about that. Mostly I just want to feel better. More present in my body, more energetic and generally less unmotivated. So when I think about the ultimate body reset, I think of Dr. Ian. There are tons of options out there, but since Dr. Ian's plan is the only one I've ever actually followed with success (for 9 days) I knew I needed to go back to it. I wrote all about the details of the book here and here; the last time I decided to attempt this reset.

The main things I'm adding (or rather subtracting): alcohol (this is a big one of me, since I definitely enjoy my glass of wine when cooking or a beer in this summer weather), coffee (my chai!!!), cheese, sugar.

For 9 days my menu will include:
-All fruits in any quantity
-All vegetables in any quantity, except: no white potatoes or avocados
-Good sources of protein: chickpeas, beans, tofu, lentils
-Brown rice- 2 cups of cooked rice per day
-2 cups of low-fat or skim or soy milk per day
-As much water as you like!
-Oatmeal- 1 c. per day
-All herbs and spices
-6 oz. low-fat yogurt (2 times per day)
-4 egg whites per day
-2 cups of herbal tea per day

I do make a tiny change to the plan and drink black tea. Which still has caffeine. Since I'm such a coffee drinker, I know that if I just totally quit coffee I'd probably not have the patience to quit the things like alcohol and sugar (It's only this strict for 9 days). After that, you add in meats and a bit of dairy. But I'm not even thinking of that right now. For now, I'm just focusing on day one. Okay, meal one. It's already 10 am and I haven't yet actually eaten anything. I did make my black tea though.

I'll report back soon!

2 comments:

  1. I have been where you are, I know how tough it is to get your motivation and focus back. I have lost and gained the same couple of pounds since the beginning of May. I am cheering you on. We can do this! Like you said, one day and one meal at a time. I'll be interested to hear how the next 9 days goes. The diet looks interesting, pretty much all foods that I like. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Debbie! I appreciate the encouragement. I'll check in again soon to share how day one is going =)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors