Thursday, July 7, 2011

A (minus) for effort!

Yup! Day one-- Check!

One of the keys of an eating overhaul, is actually having food to eat.
Knowing I had very little of "on plan" food (though loads of other delicious eats thanks to my coupon filled haul) I started my new grocery list.

In the am, around the time of this post here, I'd had my black tea, but that was it.
So right after posting about the 9-day eating overhaul, I fixed 3 egg whites with spinach and bell peppers (they were the frozen kind so super easy to heat up and toss in).

Sounds pretty good right? It was except that there wasn't much flavor. And I'm used to dousing my eggs with some delicious hot sauce or something. After a few bites I gave in, but only a smidge. I put a little less than a teaspoon of Sriracha hot sauce on the eggs. It has some sugar in it and chili peppers, so it was no where close to being on plan, but it totally helped. My spice skills feel pretty limited when it comes to using spices to jazz up the flavor of a meal. Recommendations happily accepted!


Feeling fueled, I did some work and then ducked out to Trader Joe's. I loaded up my cart with veggies and fruit, including a banana I scarfed in the car before I left the parking lot. Yup gotta plan out my timing of meals better.

The grocery haul

On the lunch menu was a mondo salad with lettuce, broccoli slaw (I saw it in someone else's cart and it looked good), red onions, carrots, and tomatoes. And... dressing. Darn you trader joes and your delicious dressing. Also not on plan-- a cranberry-walnut-gorgonzola dressing that is so tasty I just about licked my bowl. But I only used a little.

Oops! Didn't snap a pic til I was halfway through with the salad.
I made the salad while hanging out at a friends house. I'm auntie to that adorable pug chilling out
in the background of the pic.

Dinner was alas also a bit off. I thought for sure I had brown rice at home, but it was white rice. Not up for another trip to the store, I went with it. A little rice, zucchini and diced tomatoes and onion.

After dinner, my "I think I might be getting a cold tea" to give my body a little boost. Garlic and ginger anyone?

Oh right, the cheese.... So I convinced myself that lactose free yogurt pepperjack cheese, while not exactly on plan is much closer than the sharp cheddar I wanted to devour. I had 2 slices of that.

Maybe I'm being mega lenient with the A-. Perhaps these "little off plan" additions would nudge me towards the C category? But actually I feel really pleased with my day o' eating. More veggies than I had in a week, very little sugar, no alcohol, much more water than I'm used to. Though I still feel under the weather thanks to this cold trying to creep in, I am mega pleased with my food for the day.

Not many pics of the food. I'll try to remember to take more.

P.S. Just received last minute invite to BBQ this weekend. Happy because I love a good BBQ (who doesn't) but nervous about what I'll actually eat.

Sriracha pic found here, along with a review too!

1 comment:

  1. I think that you did great! all of that colorful food looks delicious. I wish that I could help with ideas for spicing things up with herbs and seasonings, but I'm not really any good at that. Good luck with the BBQ, I know how hard it is to stay on plan with that.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors