Monday, September 12, 2011

Advice I'm ignoring

A few years ago I borrowed a book called "Simplify your Life" by Elaine St. James. Though I know there were some gems in the book, I don't remember too much of it (and in fact I currently own several books with that same title). I do remember this tip: Keep your Plants Outdoors.


I remember it because I love having plants indoors.

And they've actually served as a barometer for what's going on with me, as demonstrated by a post over at bethanymoves (my on hiatus blog). This post was called Transparency. I wrote it 2 years ago, June. I shared pics of my sad, dry little plants. I also felt sad. And hadn't really noticed the plants current state until I saw them as a mirror for how I was feeling inside.


It actually hurts a little to look at these pictures. Not just because my plants were in such a sad state, but also because I remember how much my heart was hurting when I took these pictures.

I wish I'd shared another pic of how my plants were doing as I healed. The plants have bloomed, multiplied and been such a joy to me. Is it strange that plants seem to keep you company? Not in the same way as a friend over for wine and sharing, but in a fill your house with another layer of richness sort of way.
This pic was actually taken to show some of Autumn's organizing magic. But since it shows my happy little plants, I thought I'd include it.


And my mint! That I used for my cooking I posted about here. (I'm glad mint is so resilient. It doesn't currently look like this but I have faith it'll spring back.)

Last weekend, I took a trip down to the LBC with my friend and soon to be roomie. I decided to take my plants down so there wasn't a chance they'd get jostled on moving day or shoved about amidst boxes. I didn't anticipate I'd miss them though! My house is plant-less and I feel it!

I think this calls for a walk in a garden.

Is the vote still out in your house? Indoor plants or no? Any other urban city dwellers that just don't have their own outside areas to plant in? I think one day I'll have an outdoor garden, but til then I'm content with my little indoor one.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, that is an interesting idea. But for people like us who get such joy out of little plants, it doesn't really make sense. I'd prefer to leave the cat outside who keeps throwing up on my couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Your comment cracked me up! Yes, I can see you getting rid of the cat first!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors