Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Morning kindness


I've noticed a tendency to be super critical of myself in the morning.
I pass that mirror and the first things I notice sound pretty harsh: What blemish decided to say hello today? Why is my nose so dry in the morning? Maybe that saleswoman at Origins was right and I should have sprung for the wrinkle cream?

Today, without even thinking about it, I tried something different.
I was looking in the mirror with a critical voice blaring in my ear and suddenly I found a pause button:
Hi self! Good morning. I see kindness in my eyes. I feel well rested. My curly hair is on a mission to be wild this morning.

Then before I knew it, I was smiling. Starting the day with gratitude felt so much better!
The critical voice is pretty well automated by now, but I like the idea of putting it on pause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors