Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tickled pink (err...green)

There hasn't been too much movement/ aka weight loss progress since my Half-Marathon. Is my scale broken? Does this number seem familiar to anyone else?

Still, I do feel like I've been moving forward.
So what have I been up to? Ready for a hint?

It's a different type of movement...

Yup, that's right. I'm moving. From lovely, beautiful San Francisco. I'm heading down south to Long Beach. In some ways it's bittersweet, but as much as I love San Francisco, I am excited to be closer to my family.

Moving is overwhelming no matter how you look at it. Lately I seem to be acquiring a whole lot of boxes and even more to-do lists.

That's why today, I made a tickler file. I read David Allen's, Getting Things Done and though I'd heard of a tickler File before, I was reminded of how much this system could help make sense of the moving madness. Check out Space For Living's review of Getting Things Done here.


A tickler file is a system of 43 folders. 12 that are labeled for January-December, and 31 that are labeled 1-31, one for each day of the month. Since I'm focused on the next few weeks in particular, this file was set up with special emphasis on today (Sept 8th) through the beginning of October.

My to-do lists have been kind of random; everything from get more boxes, to use up perishable food in the fridge, to fix my necklace.

Why would I be worrying about a necklace while I'm trying to move? Well, in the grand scheme of things it's not a mega priority, but my friend designs jewelry and I'll see her for lunch next week, so I want to remember to bring it with me. But, since I'm also packing and getting organized and moving things around, I was worried there would be a chance my regular holding places for to-do's would be shuffled, overstuffed, packed, etc. The tickler file will allow me to have a holding place for all sorts of things I want to grab and reference over the next couple of weeks.

That different colored folder in the back contains supplies for a little birthday present I want to make for a friend in a few weeks. I stuck it next to the file for the day I plan to make and mail it. Ah, organizing. Now, I just need to remember to actually reference the file every day. That's the only way a tickler file is actually helpful.

So, yeah, not a ton of movement scale wise, but this whole "B Getting Hot" adventure is more than that. Right? And calming the chaos is certainly an important step.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! I can't wait hear how it works for you. I have yet to set up my own but I think it is such an interesting idea. Happy organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, so good! It's not totally automatic yet, but I'll report back as I continue to use it!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors