Thursday, December 1, 2011

Back to Basics

Sometimes when I "check out" (from this blog, from my fitness journey, from the things that keep me grounded) it's because I'm feeling too overwhelmed. And a lot of time that feeling of overwhelm looks and feels like failure. Being up about 5 lbs from this post feels like failure. It's me heading in the wrong direction. But all of that sort of thinking only gets me more of the same.

This morning I woke up feeling really foggy. As if something was off but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I just lay there wallowing for about 10 minutes. The furthest thing from my mind was the Morning Kindness I promised myself I would practice.

But after about 10 minutes or so I slipped out of bed (attempting not to wake the world's cutest puppy). I was going on a walk. I dug out some workout clothes. Found my running shoes. Almost had the walk thwarted by tangled/ broken headphones. Finally after a whole bunch of zig zagging around the house that included grabbing my keys, searching for my other set of headphones, finding a shirt that fit better; I declared "Enough. I have to keep this simple. I know how to go on a walk." So out I went, sans pedometer, sans music, sans a real plan. And let me tell you it was lovely!

I walked for about 30 minutes or so, but I'm not exactly sure because I didn't officially time it. I walked briskly, but didn't push myself to run. I picked a place I'd walk to, but turned around a bit before that place and declared that decision okay too. It felt good to be moving.

Today was not about a specific goal. Instead it was about getting back to basics. I need those reminders of the things I can do to serve as a push (or even just a gentle nudge) forward. So in honor of "back to basics," I reminded myself of a few things I definitely know how to do and most certainly can do.

1) I can go on a walk!
Even if it's short. Even if I can't find my headphones. Even if I don't have my pedometer. I can lace up my shoes and go for a walk.

2) I can drink water.
When I got back from the walk I had a big glass of water and my body thanked me.

3) I can cook food at home (that even includes vegetables).
This morning, instead of grabbing a muffin from the coffee shop, I made some scrambled eggs, with spinach and 1 slice of pepper jack cheese in a small multigrain tortilla.

4) I can record the food I eat.
Even if I don't always say no to my Starbucks chai, I can still be sure to write it down.

Any of those 4 things listed above sound revolutionary? No, not really. But getting back to basics is exactly what I needed this morning.

I didn't bring my camera with me on my walk, so no pics to commemorate today's sunshine. I did however take a picture of a really cute puppy. So just for fun a pic of me and my little Taddie, right after today's walk.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! So good to hear about your lovely walk. Looking forward to more back to basic updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopped by to visit your blog. I love it. I love you. I need to walk too.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors